MK Highways is utilising bituminous resin technology through its highways service provider Ringway to help prevent potholes on our road network.
This is a hot applied technique suitable for use on all roads using a resin based bituminous material containing high skid resistant granules, which is placed into the open crack/joint in the road surface. Once cooled the material provides a sealed 'strip' over the open joint/crack that will arrest the deterioration of the defect whilst providing a skid resistant surface for traffic.
The resulting repair is very robust and has the following benefits ;
- No waste generated.
- No excavation so no damage caused to the lower layers.
- Fast installation so minimal disruption to road users - reduced traffic management costs.
- Can receive traffic immediately.
- A suitable repair on a strip type defect on the joint only
- Higher daily outputs
- Works during colder winter months reacting to potholes as they form along construction joints in the road surface.
- Does not leave a joint which is a point of weakness and deterioration for weathering
MK Highways will undertake this work during Aurumn 2020